Friday, March 11, 2016

Flatiron Building at the Corner of Elm, Hancock and Monroe Streets


Known as a flatiron building, because of its unique shape that is similar to a flat clothes iron, this limestone building was constructed by the Kuebeler and Stang families in 1909. It sits on a triangular lot at the intersection of Elm, Hancock and Monroe Streets. You can see the shape of the lot in an early twentieth century Sanborn Fire Insurance Map.


The side of the building that faces Monroe Street features a rising sun on the pediment of the building.


Decorative stone is found along the top of the side of the building that faces Hancock Street. If you look closely at the second floor windows, you can still see signs from the dance studio which once occupied the top floor.


Commonly known as the Kuebeler Block, this building was built for businesses to occupy the street level, and a social hall on the upper level. Several business on Hancock Street comprised a small business district that served Sandusky’s residents on the near east side. In 1916,  the Spiegel Brothers had a barber shop on the lower level, next to Robert Fingerhut’s merchant tailor shop. The “Social Seven Hall” occupied the upper floor of the Kuebeler block at this time. Gilcher and Wallen once ran a hat shop at this location.


In 1948, Kay Lutes opened a dance studio in the Kuebeler Block’s upper level. In the 1980s and 1990s,  Barb’s Dance was also at this location. In 2016, this property has a consignment shop on the street level.  “If those walls could talk,” they could tell many stories about this historic Sandusky building.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there are pictures of the Kay Lute studio. I took lessons as a child, and I remember it-and the Miss America pictures.

fluffy said...

along with the building catty corner this area served the German population of that area. I believe the area was called the Hessenkessel.

Ed Daniel said...

The building catty corner (in the SW corner) used to be Otto's ice cream store when I was a kid in the 1950's. As I recall, the flatiron building is where Sam Stein, founder and owner of the former Grill Meats Company, had his first plant in the late 1940's. Later the company moved to the much larger quarters, to a building at the NE corner of Scott St and Hancock.

Anonymous said...

I remember, in the 50's, my father played cards in one of the businesses on the ground floor of this building. He called it "the cigar store".
Not sure what the actual name of the business was. I also seem to remember a small store that sold fish for aquariums in this building.

Anonymous said...

My history with this building is also taking dance classes at Kay Lutz dance studio. Surely there are pictures of this?

Amy said...

I did too! I suggested to my Mom that we name my baby sister she was expecting Waneta Kay after Kay Lute. She did. I was in Sandusky yesterday and we drove by the building!!!

Amy said...

I have a photo of me in my recital costume, somewhere. Would have been 1961 or 62.

OafDawg said...

The Even Break Cigar Store.

Anonymous said...

Kay Lutes sold the Studio to me in the early 70's. It was called Kathy's dance studio until I sold it to Barb in 1972.