A blog dedicated to the discussion of topics relating to the history of Sandusky and Erie County, Ohio, the Lake Erie Islands, and nearby communities; inspired by the collections of the Sandusky Library Archives Research Center and Follett House Museum. A service of the Sandusky Library.
Presented by the Sandusky Library, Sandusky, Ohio
A view of the library, circa 1905
Today's Sandusky Library
Voted a Best Genealogy Blog
Search the Sandusky Library Local History Collections:
Follow this link to view images from the library's collections
The building which began as Sandusky's Central Police and Fire Station building in 1890 served
as Sandusky's CityBuilding
from 1915 until 1958. Local photographer Robert E. Frank took several pictures
of the former CityBuilding before it was
razed in 1958. In the picture below, several businesses along West Market Street
are visible, including Gray Drugs, Weber's Men's Wear, and Herman's Jewelers.
In a closer view, you can see the words "CityBuilding" above the large doors on the street level. The lower level of the building originally
housed horse-drawn vehicles for the city’s police and fire departments.
You can see the old city building in this picture postcard, which was taken
from West Market Street
A lengthy article in the November
27, 1867 issue of the Sandusky Register
reported on the first anniversary celebration of the Buckeye Business and
Telegraph College. The school was founded
in Sandusky by Professor E. A. Hall, and began as the Buckeye and Great Western
Business College. Eventually the name was changed to Sandusky Business College. In the 1860s the school was located at
Union Hall, on Columbus Avenue, between Water and Market
Streets. The first anniversary celebration was held at Donahoe’s Block, with
the Great Western Band providing musical entertainment. A.C. Van Tine,
proprietor of the college, called the audience to attention. M.F. Cowdery, the superintendent of Sandusky
City Schools, gave an address.
article summarized his remarks: “He said
that next to religion, morality and intelligence must be ranked the claims of
trade and commerce of the world. He referred to the effects of commerce in
settling new countries, opening seaports and stimulating enterprise. He alluded
to the fact that our American Independence was achieved in a war begun on
account of commercial oppression, and closed by discussing the importance and
value of a strict and unyielding integrity in all the walks of a business life.
He paid a very handsome tribute to the energy and enterprise of the proprietors
of the Buckeye College, and foresaw for it a career of great usefulness to the
young of our city.”
evening’s program business students presented Professor Jarrett with a
Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary. Lieutenant Governor John Lee spoke to the
audience, advising them: “You do well to
patronize and encourage an enterprise so fraught with good to the youth of your
city.” Mr. John Delamater presented a gold-headed cane to Professor S.P.
Hare. Rev. W.D. Godman of Cleveland told the audience that education was
important not only for business, but for any vocation to which one is called.
Judge Taylor pointed out that the prospects for the winter term were promising,
as a large number of students had already enrolled. The evening concluded with
the presentation of the engraving “Irving and His Friends” to Mr. A.C. Van
The college had a variety of locations and proprietors throughout its
existence. The last proprietor of the Sandusky Business College, then located
in the former residence of Rush Sloane on Adams Street, was William O.
Loudenslagel. The college closed in 1949, due to declining enrollment.
co-founder of the Hinde and Dauch paper company, graduated from Sandusky Business College, and at
one time owned the college. Hinde and Dauch was known for hiring graduates of the local school. For over eighty
years, The Sandusky Business College and its predecessors played an important
role in training young people for their careers in banking, finance, and many
manufacturers in Sandusky.
Pictured above is the “bill of fare” from the
Townsend House for the evening of November 20, 1850. At this time, E.A. Huntley
was the proprietor of the hotel, which was located at the northwest
corner of Market and Decatur Streets. Roasts at this meal included spiced round
of beef, boned turkey, roast turkey and larded chicken. Four different types of
cake were offered for dessert, along with a variety of fruit. The menu was
printed on cloth by Campbell’s Press.
The Townsend House, which opened in Sandusky in the
1840s, had several different proprietors and names throughout the years. Though
the Townsend House suffered a fire in 1864, it did open again. In 1876 a notice
the Sandusky City Directory stated that the hotel formerly known as the
Townsend House would now be known as the Wiedemann House.
From the 1930s through the 1950s, the hotel was
known as the Chittenden House. The hotel building was razed in 1961 by the
From about 1947 to 1958, Lake Erie Kist Beverages
was in business in Sandusky, Ohio. Most of the time that the franchise was in
town, it was located at 1401 Sycamore Line, where the Sandusky Paint Company is
now located. In November of 1947, Kist Beverages was among the many sponsors of
the Amvets Hour on Sandusky’s new
radio station, WLEC. Auditions for the
program, which featured amateur performers, were held on November 15, 1947 at
the auditorium of Sandusky High School, now known as Adams Junior High.
An article in the November 9, 1956
issue of the Sandusky Register Star News
stated that Kist beverages came in twenty different flavors, including orange,
root beer, cream soda, strawberry and
grape. John Routh, Jr. was the president of the company, which was franchised
nationally. In 1956, over two thousand bottles were processed at the Sandusky bottling
facility, and were transported to 492 customers in an eleven-county region in
Ohio. Lake Erie Kist Beverages sponsored an athletic scholarhip, a marbles
champion, and a bowling team. A sign on the company read “Get Kist for a
nickel.” This slogan was also printed on
a bottle opener that was given away by Kist, now in the collections of the
Follett House Museum.
A Kist beverage bottle is among the several vintage
soda bottles in the Industry Room at the Follett House Museum.
Lots of small grocery stores in Erie County carried
Kist beverages in the 1950s. Kist collectibles are popular today on online
a part of Cedar Point and the Causeway, Biemiller’s Cove used to be a popular
fishing spot for area residents. Charles E. Frohman wrote in Sandusky's Yesterdays that small cottages were built along the cove, and were accessible by
sailboat or rowboat in the late 1800s. In 1882 the steamer R.B. Hayes
transported people from Biemiller’s Cove to Cedar Point. Pictured below are two
rowboats in the cove.
Charles Schuck took this photograph
of men net fishing at Biemiller’s Cove in the early twentieth century.
To read more about Biemiller’s
Cove, see Sandusky's Yesterdays by
Charles E. Frohman, or E.L. Moseley’s article on Sandusky Bay and Cedar Point. Inquire at the Reference Services
Desk at the Sandusky Library to see these items.
James was the son of Thomas and Frances James, early settlers of Bloomingville in Oxford
Township of Erie County, Ohio. In the Fall of 1861, after civil war had broken out in the nation, he enlisted in
Company G of the Ohio 72nd Volunteer Infantry, reaching the rank
of First Sergeant in his unit. He was discharged from the Army in August of 1862 on a Surgeon's Certificate of Disability. A Civil
War pension card indicates that by May 28, 1863, he was considered an invalid.
After he had recovered, Sergeant James enlisted in
Company G of the 145th Ohio Infantry on May 12, 1864, and was named a
Captain. He mustered out of the 145th on August 24, 1864. Sadly, he died in early September of 1864, when he was not yet thirty
years of age. Capt. James was buried in the Bloomingville Cemetery.
The football team at Sandusky High School is having a successful season this year -- just a few days from a second-round playoff game, at the time this was published. This has been one of many good years for SHS football over the past 120 or so years.
Sandusky students played their first football games in the 1890s, but it appears that these teams were at more of a club-level rather than varsity, playing whatever nearby teams were available; records of those games are not readily available. What we might call varsity football began in 1901, when the team pictured above defeated Norwalk and Cleveland West High Schools, while losing to Toledo Scott in a three-game season. Judging from the picture, they may have been a somewhat disorganized bunch, with no standard uniforms.
Sandusky's first undefeated football season was in 1906, when the team won five games without allowing a single point!
The 1930s was a great time for Sandusky football, with winning records every year, including five undefeated seasons. The remodeled and expanded stadium (Strobel Field) was dedicated in 1936.
Many still remember the "Sensational 60's," when Sandusky football seemed nearly unbeatable, and produced future stars in both the playing and coaching ranks, as well as politics and other professions.
Do you recognize number 75 in the picture below? He is Sandusky's Pro Football Hall of Famer Orlando Pace, with his 1991 Junior Varsity squad.
Good luck to the Sandusky High School football team!
According to the Firelands Pioneer, attorney F.D. Parish was the unsuccessful candidate for the Liberty Party in the 1844
Election. He had hoped to be elected to the 28th U.S. Congress. Hewson
L. Peeke wrote in his book Standard
History of Erie County, I (Lewis Pub. Co., 1916) that Parish helped to
organize the Liberty Party in Erie County. This announcement appeared in the Sandusky Clarion on September 26, 1845.
“Liberty men” were instructed to assemble at Berlin Center on October 10, 1845,
for the purpose of renewing and increasing the efforts to redeem the country
from “the disgrace of the system of American slavery, and to extend the
blessings of liberty to all the people of the land.”
The names of the members of the Liberty Party in
Erie County were listed in the May 28, 1849 issue of the Sandusky Clarion. They were:
M. Farwell F.D.
Cochrane H. Curtis
Beecher John Hughes
Ring H.J. Childs
Barney John Everitt
McKnight Wm. Dildine
Radcliffe G. Hughes
Bill Thomas Porter
Hitchcock J. Neal
P. Chapman J.B. Hughes
St. John Samuel Hughes
Hughes Thomas McFall
Forman Jacob M.
Simpson S. DeWitt
Wheeler J.N. Davidson
Hadley John Irvine
Barber Alexander Boyd
Johnson John Barr
Barber Henry B. Green
D. Whitney John Carson
Osborn J.M. Goodman
Henderson W.H. Clark
Ross John McEldowney
Clark H.H. Jennings
Ross W.C. Pettibone
Cochrane Johan D. Whitney
Graham P.B. Berry
Jones J.C. Mitchell
Merry Josiah Fowler
Several of the individuals whose names were
listed as members of the Liberty Party in Erie County were also active
participants in the Underground Railroad,
the loosely knit network of people who assisted fugitive
slaves to reach freedom in Canada